Monday, September 7, 2009

The Elephant's Trunk

In hindsight, I'm so sorry that I didn't take a photo...but here goes:

Yesterday morning, James and my Mom and two of our good friends Donna and Jessie got up bright and early to go to the Elephant's Trunk; a flea market in New Milford, CT. (Click HERE for more information.) I hadn't been in nearly 10 years or more and I remember loving it when I was a kid.

It was still the same, actually even better now that I have a house to decorate! We arrived around 8:45 am and searched and wandered for about four hours!

I ended-up buying this (all iron piece) for $20!

Near the end of the day, James and I bought some Stromboli (ham, prosciutto, and cheese) from a guy who called me "baby" when we walked up...and against all better judgement. Now when we think back we remember that we had seen this Stromboli sitting out all day (since we arrived that morning). It had meat in it, there was no refrigeration, and we didn't know the guy. What a bad idea that was!

On the way back to New Jersey, we made a couple of stops - but I wasn't worried about it for some reason. When we got home James and I were both starving and I put some of the Stromboli in to the oven to warm it up for lunch. James cut up some apples and some cheddar and I put the Stromboli on to our plates and then ran downstairs to get a sweatshirt.

That's when I heard James scream "OH MY GOD!" (Which, I have to admit, is not something he normally says.) I ran in to the kitchen and he was pointing at his plate. TINY MAGGOTS WERE CRAWLING OUT OF HIS SANDWICH! How gross! Unfortunately, much to my mothers disappointment, we did not think to take a picture in the moment...and immediately wrapped-up all of the nasty, infested Stromboli and threw it in the garbage, which was then double wrapped and brought to the big garbage can. (This is where my mom will say "you can still go take a picture!")

The best part is, that when I was cutting the sandwiches off, I ate some of the meat that fell out before putting it in the oven...

HAVE A GREAT LABOR DAY EVERYONE!

3 comments:

LisaCarse said...

It's uncanny -- my husband and I, along with our houseguests, had the exact same experience at the Elephant's Trunk this weekend. We too brought our stromboli, purchased from a vendor near the entrance, home to heat up, sliced it, and discovered that the 'bubbling cheese" was in fact squirming maggots. We also shrieked, wrapped the whole mess up in plastic and rushed it out to the trash before we could think to take a picture. It all made quite an impression on our guests, and we all lost our appetites for a few hours. I did email the health director in New Milford, CT to let him know about our experience.

ET Flea said...

I am writing on behalf of the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market. After being alerted to this very disturbing situation, the manager has asked me to post that the vendor in question, John's Breads, will no longer be a vendor at the Elephant's Trunk. We are sorry that any of our visitors had to experience such a terrible situation. We pride ourselves in running a family friendly venue for over 30 years now and hope that this unfortunate event will not affect our relationship with our customers.
Our thanks to Alexandra and Lisa for alerting us to this , so it could be dealt with promptly.

Vasini said...

OMG.. That sewing machine base is SO beautiful. I have something very similar..

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=11553854241

Yours is a steal at $20!!