Saturday, April 16, 2011

April 16th, 2011

Dear Gypsy,

I have a theory: the less amount of time I have on a project, the better I do.  Why is that?  Am I more focused?  More productive?  There must be scientific proof of this.  I've been trying to cut back on multi-tasking because the research there shows that we become less productive when we try to do too much at once.  With 9 classes, I can't afford to be less productive, so i set aside specific time for each item.  I think my problem is that I am absolutely terrible (not joking here) at guessing how much time is needed.  Just take a look at my school "To-Do" list (based on when it's due):

Tuesday (woohoo - my birthday!  Okay, that's all the celebration I get.)
- Tailoring: (class is canceled on Tuesday, so that's fantastic and means that I have an extra week to finish the sleeves, plus it means that I can concentrate on Portfolio & Festival)
- Fashion Technical Drawing: ruffled skirt in both AI & hand-drawn, plus 6 flats front & back for Final
- Portfolio: 7 rendered (4th group), Title & End Page, Order B.Cards, & start flats for next week (oh, and if I want to enter and submit by Wednesday, I need to do my entire layout - WOOhhhhh...ugh)

Wednesday:
- Textiles: Post, work on final (knits)
- Portfolio: SUBMIT to Ogawa by noon!
- Construction 3: take-out hem & make perfect, add hand-sewn yo-yos near bust (and beading?) for interest, decide plant pocket placement, bring clutch mock-up and begin purse pattern
- Process & Skills: mini portfolio, business cards

Thursday: 
- Merchandising Workshop: min. 30 thumbnails following rules, fabric/graphics boards (start or at least think about)
- Shoe Design: image of shoe (hand-in for final grade), fix sizing? (foam? inserts?), extra leather - make second shoe with just liner pattern - fix sizing first (elastic?)

Friday:
- Knits: Finish final for fit (draft skirt to dress + pockets), up-cycled sweater is DUE!

And repeat.  My looks for Festival are due next week, so at least I have next weekend for that, as I will probably spend today and tomorrow doing my Portfolio Layout, figuring out where to print, and making a muslin draft of my clutch for Construction 3 (third piece) - it needs a lot of beading, so I really need to get started!  I could also make 1 piece to my Knits final, since I patterned the long-sleeve yesterday.  I'm in a go-for-it mood, so that's good!  (Psyched for this head cold to leave me alone though.)

My Mom is in China now - it must be so thrilling since she's never been to Asia!  I'm so excited for her (and for Brettly to see all of our Mom's) - HAVE FUN Y'ALL!

<3 Alex

PS: if you haven't already noticed, I gave-up on P90X two weeks ago.  I have since been skiing, running, biking, and horse-back riding, but I'm sad that I ran out of time.  In three weeks I should be able to start back-up and get my body ready for white-water rafting in the Grand Canyon in September.  Sigh.  Life must go on.  ;)  (The French Toast I made for breakfast was delicious - ahha!)

PPS: I can't stop thinking about Florence...still my favorite city in the world.  I will learn Italian this summer and move there in the next two years with James, Leo, and Tank - what a life we live.

No comments: